Get Free Assessment for Immigration/Visa applications from Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier

Canada Immigration -
Sponsoring your family member

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada and wish to be reunited with your family member (sponsored person), you may be eligible to sponsor this person.

A sponsored person is:
  • your spouse or common-law partner;
  • dependent children of your spouse or common-law partner;
  • dependent children of your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children;
  • parents or grandparents;
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship, or;
  • another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents.
A sponsorship application involves two (2) or three (3) steps - depending on your place of residence - Quebec or any other Canadian province:

  1. sponsorship application - to apply to be a sponsor and be approved as a sponsor by the Federal government;
  2. undertaking application – to sign a contract that binds you - the sponsor - to the sponsored person and the government of Quebec and to be issued a certificate of selection of Quebec once the undertaking has been approved by the government;
  3. permanent residence application of your relative - to be admitted to Canada.
To determine your eligibility to sponsor a relative, you must meet the following requirements:
  • be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be 18 years or older;
  • promise to support your family member financially by signing a sponsorship agreement with the Government (3 years or 10 years depending on the sponsored person’s age and relationship to you);
  • meet certain income requirements (depending on whom you wish to sponsor);
  • not have failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past;
  • not have defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support;
  • not have received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability;
  • not have been convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued;
  • not have defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments;
  • not be in prison;
  • not have declared bankruptcy and not have been released from it yet.
To be issued a permanent resident visa under this category, your relative must:
  • Submit the Certificate of Selection of Quebec – issued by the government of Quebec – if applicable, with his/her application to become a permanent resident of Canada to the Embassy serving his/her country of nationality or current residence;
  • Successfully pass a selection interview with an immigration officer (or be exempted thereof), and;
  • Pass a medical examination and security/background checks.
If you are an individual who is seeking to sponsor your relative and you require legal assistance with regard to your application, Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier invites you to complete a FREE ASSESSMENT*.

Once Attorney Pelletier has determined that you have a favorable chance to be approved as a sponsor, you will receive an agreement for professional services, by e-mail or fax.

If you are seeking professional advice and/or assistance with regard to the application process and/or the review of your application forms (before official submission to Immigration Authorities), please e-mail Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier at:

* Any information provided will be kept in strict confidence.