Get Free Assessment for Immigration/Visa applications from Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier

Canada Permanent Resident (PR) cards

Do you wish to apply for an initial, renewal or replacement Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)?

You must have a valid PR Card IF:
  • You are outside Canada, and;
  • You seek to return to Canada by commercial carrier (bus, train, boat or plane).
Permanent residents who landed in Canada after June 2002 are automatically issued permanent resident cards. It is however important to verify the expiry date on your PR Card as it expires every five (5) years.

Permanent residents who landed in Canada before June 2002 were not issued permanent resident cards. These individuals who wish to travel outside Canada must apply for an initial permanent resident card – well in advance of their intended departure – in order to be able to re-enter Canada.

To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • meet the residency obligations* (although some exceptions exist);
  • not be under an effective removal order, and;
  • not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act.
*Note: To meet the residency obligations, you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five years.

If you are an individual who is seeking to apply for a PR Card and you require legal assistance with regard to your application, Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier invites you to complete a FREE ASSESSMENT*.

Once Attorney Pelletier has determined that you have a favorable chance to be issued a PR Card, you will receive an agreement for professional services, by e-mail or fax.

If you are seeking professional advice and/or assistance with regard to the application process and/or the review of your application forms (before official submission to Immigration Authorities), please e-mail Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier at:

* Any information provided will be kept in strict confidence.