Get Free Assessment for Immigration/Visa applications from Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier

Temporary Resident Permits and Approvals for Criminal Rehabilitation

Have you recently been:
  • denied admission to Canada, and/or;
  • denied a work or study permit DUE to criminal inadmissibility issues?
You are inadmissible on grounds of criminality IF you have been convicted of:


  • MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or;

  • INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.).
Canada has made provisions to allow people with criminal records into Canada under certain circumstances – by issuing Temporary Resident Permits (TRPs) and Approvals for Criminal Rehabilitation.
  • If you were convicted outside Canada AND less than five years have elapsed, you may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to come into Canada. The Temporary Resident Permit will allow you to enter and remain in Canada for a limited-period.

  • If you were convicted outside Canada AND more than five years have elapsed since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed, you may be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation. The approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by your conviction.

  • If you were convicted in Canada and you wish to return to Canada, you must first apply for a pardon from the Clemency and Pardons Division of the National Parole Board. A pardon will permanently erase your Canadian criminal record.

  • If you are unable to obtain a pardon, you may still apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).
To be issued a temporary resident permit (TRP), a visa officer will take into careful consideration the following:
  • The nature and number of offenses you have committed;
  • The length of time since the last offense,
  • Reports from parole or probation officers;
  • The purpose of your presence in Canada;
  • Your standing in the community.
If you are an individual who is seeking to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or an Approval for Criminal Rehabilitation and you require legal assistance with regard to your application, Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier invites you to complete a FREE ASSESSMENT*.

Once Attorney Pelletier has determined that you have a favorable chance to be issued a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or Criminal Rehabilitation, you will receive an agreement for professional services, by e-mail or fax.

If you are seeking professional advice and/or assistance with regard to the application process and/or the review of your application forms (before official submission to Immigration Authorities), please e-mail Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier at:

* Any information provided will be kept in strict confidence.