Get Free Assessment for Immigration/Visa applications from Attorney Melanie M. Pelletier

Planning to visit or study in Canada?

Find out about the requirements and the steps to apply for a study permit or a visitor visa:

  • Temporary Study Permit

  • A study permit is an official document allowing someone who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada to study in Canada. Most international students need a study permit to study in Canada. Some international students also need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada. You do not need to make a separate application for a temporary resident visa - it will be issued at the same time as the documentation necessary for you to enter Canada as an international student.

  • Temporary Resident Visa (visitor visa)

  • Visitors to Canada require a temporary resident visa (TRV). A Canadian temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office. The temporary resident visa is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for lawful admission to Canada as a visitor. When you arrive at a Canadian port of entry, an officer from the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) will ask you questions in order to verify that you still meet the requirements for lawful admission to Canada. Note: A change of circumstances between the time of your application for a temporary resident visa and your arrival in Canada could result in you being refused entry.